This tasty Marinated Grain Salad recipe features whole grain berries with wild rice and black eyed peas. A feast of flavor and texture! Whole grain berries are simply the intact kernel of the grain. Combining their distinct flavor and texture with those of wild rice and black eyed peas makes for a hearty salad.
Marinated Grain Salad with Black-Eyed Peas
- 1/2 cup whole grain berries (wheat, spelt, farro, etc.)
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 2–3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 (15–16 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- mixed baby greens
- Cover the wheat berries with water in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and let stand off the heat for an hour, then drain.
- Combine the wheat berries with the wild rice in the saucepan along with 4 cups water. Bring to a simmer once again, then cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Combine the cooked grains with the remaining ingredients while still hot and stir together. Allow to cool to room temperature or until just warm, then serve on a bed of greens.
This post was originally published on 30 Aug 2009.