Pineapple Curry is a creamy and flavorful vegetarian curry that makes an incredible dinner paired with rice. This 25-minute curry is one of my favorite go-to curry recipes!
Full of onions, garlic, pineapple, and a handful of warm spices, kids and adults alike will love this creamy pineapple curry recipe. Consider adding in other vegetables to make it even heartier.
This Pineapple Curry Is…
- Simple Weeknight or Weekday Dinner
- 25-Minute Dinner
How to Make Pineapple Curry
- Add oil into a skillet on the stove.
- Toss in onions, garlic, and pineapple. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add spices and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add pineapple juice and milk. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce thickens. This takes around 10 minutes.
- Once creamy, serve the pineapple curry over a bed of rice, cauliflower rice, etc.
Expert Tips and Tricks
Best Pineapple To Use For Curry
I used crushed pineapple when I made this curry. I found it created the best texture. Keep in mind that you will also use the juice from the can.
If you use a larger-chunked pineapple, you might find the bigger pieces might be overpowering when you eat it.
Make sure to add your spices to the pan and allow them to cook for a minute or two before adding the milk and juice. You want to do this because it helps to bring out the intense flavors of each of the spices. If you cook your spices, you will notice a big difference in the warmth of the spices in the curry dish.
Adding Vegetables Into Curry
Consider adding diced peppers, carrots, or other vegetables to make your curry even heartier. You could even drain and toss in some chickpeas for added depth of flavor.
If you don’t want to use regular milk, you could swap it with coconut milk or even unsweetened almond milk. It should cook up okay and provide a similar flavor to cow milk in this curry recipe.
- If you want, toss in some tofu.
- Coconut milk will add a creamy texture.
- Drizzle with some yogurt on top for a topping.
- Cashews or nuts add a fun crunch to the curry dish.
- Serve with Naan bread, mango rice, classic white rice, etc.
Pineapple Curry FAQs
What is Pineapple Curry?
Pineapple curry is a sweet and savory curry that makes a great dinner or side dish. The main ingredient in this curry is pineapple—and it is so tasty and simple to make.
Do you need coconut milk to make curry?
I wanted to create a curry that didn’t require coconut milk. If you want, you can use coconut milk, but cow milk works great in this recipe.
Can I use fresh pineapple instead of canned in this curry?
If you want, you can chop up fresh pineapple into small bits as you would for a crushed pineapple from a can. This will work just as well. Just make sure to cut your pineapple up into smaller bits.
Craving More Dinner Ideas?
- 1 Can Crushed Pineapple 20 Ounces
- 1 Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Pineapple Juice reserved from can
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- Salt to taste
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Sauté the onion, garlic, and pineapple until the onions are translucent, about 3–5 minutes.
Add spices to the pan and continue to cook and stir for a minute or two.
Slowly add the milk and juice while stirring. Let the mixture simmer until it starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. Salt to taste.
Serve over rice and enjoy!
Calories: 607kcalCarbohydrates: 57gProtein: 13gFat: 39gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 128mgPotassium: 943mgFiber: 7gSugar: 30gVitamin A: 719IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 422mgIron: 8mg