These Vegan and Gluten-Free Almond Thumbprint Cookies are as simple to make as they are beautiful. Use any flavor of preserves you’d like in this recipe. I happen to really love the amber glow of the apricot preserves. A thicker jam or fruit preserve is key to having a uniform color puddle in your cookies. Sprinkle with a touch of confectioners sugar for the ultimate eye-popper.
Recipe and photo contributed by Allyson Kramer, from Manifest Vegan.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Almond Thumbprint Cookies
Makes: 24 cookies
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- Your favorite flavor of thick preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together margarine and sugar until smooth. Add in prepared flaxseed meal and almond extract and mix well.
- In separate bowl, combine baking powder, sorghum flour, potato starch, almond meal, and xanthan gum.
- Gradually add flours into sugar mixture until a stiff dough forms.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Use the back of a 1/2 teaspoon (or your thumb) to make an indent in the cookies while slightly flattening them.
- Fill with a little less than a teaspoon of preserves. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven and then let cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and have yourself a cookie.
This post was originally published on 9 July 2012.